Friday, January 13, 2012

Waiting...

Last weekend I told myself I would wait to make a post until Tuesday the 10th when we had new babies. Well, of course he did not deliver on his due date, or the next day, or the next, or the next... Today he fired off a warning shot, yup, one baby. This is pretty common and we are hoping that since seahorses typically deliver first thing in the morning as the sun is coming up that it will be tomorrow, as it appears from his warning shot that he is literally ready to pop! :) 
As we wait for him, we are anxiously waiting for two, possibly three other males as well. So, while we wait, I will share with you some pictures of a pair of wild seahorses that we have. We have four wild caught seahorses and we go to great lengths to accommodate these big guys. And when I say big, they are by far the largest seahorses we have and that I have ever seen. They are a good 8 inches if not larger and are the most beautiful seahorses I have ever seen. The pictures are of Big momma and Big daddy. They have had one batch of babies so far, 570 babies, yes I counted them all. They have been flirting like crazy since but have not had any more babies. I think that he is pregnant now but we are not sure so we are keeping our fingers crossed! 
I will hopefully be back soon to share pictures of lots of tiny babies! 


Big daddy is the browner one with the pouch, that is where he carries his babies :) If he is pregnant it is very recent because his pouch gets HUGE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment